Horses And Other Equines

|
Headed for the chapel, Cathair saw Aithne coming up from the cloister and he fell in with her. "Feeling any better, gra?"

She gave him a half-smile. "Some. It did me good to stay alone awhile." She took his arm and rested her head on his shoulder.

Cathair raised an eyebrow. "Really? That's unusual for you. Unusual for you to admit, at least." This earned a punch in the arm, and he pretended it hurt, yelping. She giggled- a small one, but an unexpected sound after the past day- and he took heart.

"Well then, I think we should talk before we go back."

~~~~~~~~~

"Talk? What about?" She pulled back to look at him, guessing what he would say.

"I spoke with Kay and Bedwyr after you left. Explained how things seemed to you. They advised me..." He hesitated, then straightened and looked as though he was attempting sternness. "He said you should change your lead."

"I should what?" Her puzzlement was obvious.

"Er... change your lead. It's a horse term. I think."

She gave him a look of mixed confusion, amusement, and mild annoyance. "I know it's a horse term. I'm wondering why I was being refered to as a horse."

Now it was Cathair's turn to be confused. "What? I didn't..." He exhaled. "If it helps any, he was talking about both of us, not just you."

She nodded. "So then, when in Britain, do as the British do, yes?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Storm abated. For a moment he feared her temper would flare into life and all the quiet day's work would be ruined.

"Something like that, I suppose."

Heaving a sigh, she dropped her head against his chest, rather like some people banged their heads against walls. "Easier for a horse to change his lead. But I'll try. Again."

"That's what I love about you." He said, quietly.

She must have missed the edge of mischief in his voice, because all she said was "Hmm?" with her head still buried in his jerkin.

"You're as stubborn as a donkey."

Her head flew up, narrowly missing his jaw. "Brute!"

Next thing he knew, she was running up to the villa, and he was chasing after.

1 comment:

Elspeth said...

I know I took a little liberty with "When in Britain", but it wasn't a /direct/ quote...
I wanted to say "Stubborn as a mule", but I couldn't quickly find the answer as to when people started breeding mules, whereas the Romans brought donkeys to Britain long before this point in history.

Post a Comment